With bed bug infestations up more than 16.9% versus prior year*, more and more hospitality customers are looking for bed bug pest control. Unfortunately, we can’t stop bed bugs from entering a customer facility, but we can offer solutions to help reduce their risk and total cost. Customers are recognising the benefits of partnering with a company that offers proactive bed bug treatment options. On average, customers that have been on a proactive bed bug programme for at least one year are seeing a 21%** reduction in bed bug infestations.
Proactive bed bug programmes should include a targeted inspection that looks at the areas most at risk of bed bug harbourage including the headboard, back of night stands, carpet edge behind the bed, and upper corners of the box spring, bed frame, and the mattress (inspection only).
KEY COMPONENTS OF A PROACTIVE BED BUG PROGRAMME INCLUDE:
1 Room Access/Customer Prep
- Providing access to the infested and adjacent rooms and preparing each room for our service is critical to ensure quick and efficient identification and elimination of the infestation.
2 Inspection and Treatment
- Bed bugs hitchhike on travelers’ luggage or a person’s clothing. Because they are not a sanitation issue and can be in any hotel, inspect rooms daily. Examine mattress seams and edges, mattress cover and box springs for signs of adult bed bugs, nymphs and eggs. Inspect around headboards, behind picture frames and other areas of the room for bed bug activity.
- If you suspect bed bug activity, leave any items used to clean the room in place, close and lock the room and call your supervisor immediately. Then contact your Pest Management Provider
for treatment of the room.
3 Room Tracking
- A room tracking system/tool helps to ensure that each room has been inspected.
- Learn more about HotelProtect and our proactive bed bug programme here
*Source: Ecolab independent data (increase in infestations)
** Source: Compared to Ecolab Customers not on Ecolab’s Proactive Bed Bug Programme